Friday, April 1, 2011

Queso Blanco

White queso dip is one of my favorite things about Mexican restaurants.  It seems I always end up eating 4 meals worth of chips and dip before the actual meal I ordered ever makes it to the table.  I've tried similar canned versions but they never measure up.

This version from Annie's Eats is simply phenomenal, and the best part is that it's quick and easy to whip up.  It takes maybe 10 minutes to make, and then you can stick it in a crock pot to keep it warm for your guests.

Queso Blanco Dip
*yields approximately 2 Cups
1 tbsp vegetable or canola oil
1/4 C onion, finely chopped
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
12 oz white American cheese, finely shredded
4 oz Monterey Jack cheese, finely shredded
1/4-2/3 C milk
1 tomato, seeded and finely diced
1 tbsp cilantro, finely minced

Heat oil in saucepan over medium high heat.  Add onion and jalapeno, and cook until tender, about 5 minutes.  Make sure to stir occasionally.  Reduce heat to medium low.  Add shredded cheeses and about 1/4 C milk.  Whisk until melted, making sure to not let mixture burn.  Add tomato and cilantro.  Add more milk to achieve desired consistency.  Transfer mixture to warm bowl (or crock pot) and serve immediately.

*I had 1 other dish on the stove and 2 others in the oven while I was making this, so unfortunately I didn't get a great picture.  So sorry!  Head to Annie's Eats to get a glimpse....

2 comments:

  1. i am trying your gluten free recipes, but i cannot find any others, can you make a seperate category for them? it would be easier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! I don't have a separate category for them as of right now, but that's definitely something I'll look into. I used to have "tags" listed on the side that made such recipes easier to find.

      I think I deleted that feature from the blog but I'll check tonight and see if I can get it reinstated.

      Thank you so much for stopping by!

      Delete

I LOVE hearing from those who stop by to take a gander at the blog! Feedback and comments of all kinds are always greatly appreciated :)

Love,
Morgan