Monday, January 23, 2012

Cinnamon and Brown Sugar Oatmeal Waffles

I was going over the blog this weekend and realized that I don't have a single breakfast/brunch food on here.  This surprised me because I absolutely love all of those foods.  In fact, sometimes I like them even better for dinner than I do first thing in the morning.

The timing could not have been more perfect because my fiance was giving me a hard time Saturday night about never getting up and cooking him a good breakfast.  "I guess I'll just subsist on cereal every morning.  Is this was married life is really going to be like?", he'd tease me.

It's not that I don't like to cook it, but rather that I don't like to get up early to cook it.  Some say the early bird gets the worm, but I in turn point out that it's the second mouse who gets the cheese :)  Plus, I'd also like to say that I'd be willing to bet that the late bird who hits the snooze button is in a much better mood and feels rested enough to tackle the day's events with a song in his step.  Just sayin'.

Anyhow, yesterday morning I set the alarm a bit early (I normally sleep in and go to the 11:00 Sunday service) and set out to make a nice wholesome breakfast.  We were gifted this fabulous waffle maker at a shower and I have been dying to try it out! So waffles it was.  I initially intended to make a "fancy" waffle.  You know, one with cranberries or walnuts or bananas.  But to my dismay none of these ingredients were in my fiance's pantry.  Sigh.  What now?

I then stumbled across this cinnamon and brown sugar oatmeal waffle recipe.  While oatmeal sounded like a rather different ingredient to include, I figured it couldn't be that bad.  And bad it certainly was not.  It was delicious!  The oatmeal gives it a nice difference in texture and, while not incredibly apparent or overpowering, the cinnamon and brown sugar give it a hint of depth to the flavor.  I'm sure you could add more of both if you wanted that flavor to pack a more powerful punch.



Enjoy!

Cinnamon and Brown Sugar Oatmeal Waffles adapted from Allrecipes
1 1/2 C all purpose flour
1 C quick cooking rolled oats
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
2 eggs slightly beaten
1 1/2 C milk
6 tbsp butter, melted and cooled
2 tbsp brown sugar

In large bowl stir together flour, oats, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.  Set aside.

In separate small bowl stir together eggs, milk, butter and brown sugar.  Add to flour mixture and stir until blended.

*You have to make sure your butter isn't too hot, or it will cook the eggs when you add them to the mixture.

Cook waffle according to waffle iron instructions.

Yum!  Just a hint of that lovely brown toasted color.


Ellie wanted some too :)  Trey was nice enough to share a bite.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE hearing from those who stop by to take a gander at the blog! Feedback and comments of all kinds are always greatly appreciated :)

Love,
Morgan