Monday, January 16, 2012

Stovetop Mac-n-Cheese

Anyone who knows me well knows that macaroni and cheese is hands down my all time favorite food.  It always has been.  Laura Lynn's boxed version was the first meal I ever made on my own growing up, and if I could have I would have eaten it every single day for lunch and dinner.  Actually, I would still do that if I didn't think it would send my cholesterol through the roof.  It's simply the best comfort food imaginable and thoughts of it still conjure of sweet memories of my childhood.

I've tried several versions of macaroni and cheese over the years, with most of them being baked.  So for Thanksgiving this year I wanted to mix things up a bit with a recipe that prepared the dish on the stovetop.  This resulted in an incredibly creamy, rich dish.

This recipe calls for all cheddar cheese, but next time I think I'd experiment with a few different flavors.  Maybe white American?  It's up to you!

PS Excuse the horrible quality of the photo.  This was one of about 10 dishes I fixed for Thanksgiving, so it was all I could do to take a quick sec and get this one snapped :(



Stovetop Mac-n-Cheese adapted from Food Network's Alton Brown
1/2 lb elbow macaroni
4 tbsp butter
2 eggs
6 oz evaporated milk
1/2 tsp hot sauce
1 tsp kosher salt
fresh ground black pepper
3/4 tsp dry mustard
10 oz sharp cheddar, shredded

In a large pot of boiling, salted water cook macaroni til al dente and drain.  Return to pot and melt in butter.  Toss to coat.

Whisk together eggs, milk, hot sauce, salt, pepper and mustard.  Stir into pasta and add cheese.  Continue to stir over low heat for approximately 3 minutes or until creamy.

*Make sure not to get the temp too high or the mac and cheese will begin to burn on the bottom.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE hearing from those who stop by to take a gander at the blog! Feedback and comments of all kinds are always greatly appreciated :)

Love,
Morgan