Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Whole Wheat Hamburger Buns

I know hamburger buns aren't really high on most people's list of things they'd like to spend their time making for dinner, but I was curious to see just how different homemade buns would be from the packaged kind sold in stores.  Don't get me wrong, I don't discriminate when it comes to any kind of bread.....sliced bread, the bread basket at Red Lobster, breakfast breads.....and I've certainly never turned my nose up at packaged buns.  But since I had the time I thought I'd give these a shot.


And as much as I hate to admit it, I LOVED these.  Their texture is very different (in a good way) and they have a lot more flavor.

Yes, they require more time than simply removing the twist tie from a plastic bag, but if you can spare the time I would highly recommend it.  I know it's not highly likely that these would be made on a busy weeknight, but you can always make them on the weekend since they keep fresh.  Or you can make the dough and freeze it until you're ready to use it.

The original recipe called for all purpose flour, but I used wheat flour and actually believe it added to the flavor of these buns.  I also decreased the amount of flour from what was called for.  I found that the original quantity (5 1/2 C) was way too much and made the dough really dry and hard to work with.

These buns can be paired with any type of meat (beef, turkey, salmon, etc), but I made turkey patties to go with them.  I'll post those tomorrow, so make sure to check back!




Whole Wheat Hamburger Buns adapted from AllRecipes
(Printable Version)
1 C water
1 C milk
2 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
4 1/2 C all purpose flour
1 (.25 ounce) package bread machine yeast (doesn't have to be proofed)

1 egg yolk
1 Tbsp water
sesame seeds

Combine 1 C water, milk, butter, sugar and salt in saucepan.  Bring to boil, remove from heat and then let cool until luke warm.



*Don't begin the next step until the milk mixture is truly luke warm...otherwise you will kill the yeast.

Combine flour and yeast in bowl of stand mixer.  Pour in milk mixture and stir with spoon to combine.  Fix bowl to stand mixer and attach dough hook.  Knead for 8 minutes.



Place dough in greased bowl and turn to coat.  Let rise in warm, dry place for 1 hour or until doubled in size.


To make individual buns, divide dough into approximately 12 individual sized balls (slightly larger than a golf ball).  Form tight balls by pulling dough around and pinching together underneath.  Place balls onto baking sheet lined with parchment paper.  Make sure to place them pinched seam side down.

*You can certainly make fewer dough balls if you want your buns to be larger.


Use hand to press dough balls flat into hamburger bun shape (3-4 inches wide depending on desired width).  Allow to rise in this shape for ~20 minutes or until doubled in size.


Whisk together yolk and 1 Tbsp water and brush over tops of buns.  Top with sesame seeds if desired.

Bake 15-20 minutes, rotating pan for even baking midway through.  Bake until tops are just golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE hearing from those who stop by to take a gander at the blog! Feedback and comments of all kinds are always greatly appreciated :)

Love,
Morgan