Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Salted Honey Almond Butter

I know I've mentioned this before, but peanut butter is one of those foods I think I might have a slight obsession with.  There aren't many foods that I haven't tried putting peanut butter on or in......oreos, bread, crackers, m&m's, ice cream, oatmeal, pancakes....the long list is quite embarrassing.

My sister mentioned some time back that she had tried almond butter.  By the way, I must interject here and say that if you haven't already, you must check out her amazing blog here.  Seriously, she has a way with words.  Okay, back to my point.....almond butter?  I was so hooked on peanut butter that I wasn't sure I really wanted to branch out of my little comfort zone I had created and cheat on the peanut butter.

But then I came along quite an enticing picture of some salted honey almond butter on pinterest that came from the amazing Maria from Two Peas and Their Pod.  She had recently posted the recipe on Tasty Kitchen and it looked so easy I figured I had to give it a try.



And oh my dear and I glad I did!  This stuff was delicious.  So delicious that I ended up having to give quite a bit of it away because I couldn't quit eating it by the spoonful.  Oops.

PS I have to point out that the texture of almond butter is indeed different than that of peanut butter.  So don't be surprised.  It's not different in a bad way at all, but it is much firmer than peanut butter and doesn't spread quite as easily.  Just wanted to give you a heads up so you don't think yours turned out wrong!




Salted Honey Almond Butter adapted from Tasty Kitchen Blog
Printable Version
2 C dry roasted almonds
1 tsp sea salt
2 Tbsp honey

Place almonds in food processor and run until almonds have reached butter consistency.



*This can take anywhere from 10-15 minutes.  The almonds will go through several stages, so just stay patient.  First the almonds will all be broken down, then after a while they will begin to ball up right before they reach butter consistency.

*Also make sure to use a larger food processor blade.  I used a smaller blade that didn't reach the edges of the bowl for my first attempt and it didn't work.  The blades have to basically reach the edges to be able to work down the almonds to the correct consistency.



Turn off food processor and transfer to bowl.  Mix in honey and salt.  Stir well.

Store in mason jars for freshness.  Store in fridge for up to 2 weeks.





Oh yea, and try not to eat it all in one sitting :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE hearing from those who stop by to take a gander at the blog! Feedback and comments of all kinds are always greatly appreciated :)

Love,
Morgan