Thursday, June 21, 2012

Whole Wheat Blueberry Muffins with Oat Streusel Crumb Topping

My husband's family has several blueberry bushes in their backyard and while we were over there this past weekend I was able to pick some of the ripe ones that had finally turned a deep blueish purple.  Most blueberries don't come in until July so I was thrilled to be able to get my hands on these little guys.

I had already made blueberry banana waffles earlier in the week, so I was a bit hesitant to do yet another breakfast dish with these same berries.  But then I came across a recipe for blueberry muffins from my favorite cookbook from Foster's Market.  I didn't eat a blueberry muffin when Trey and I stopped by Foster's during our trip to Durham back in March, but I absolutely loved everything we tried, so I knew this recipe had to be good!

And good it was.  This recipe calls for the blueberries to be chopped instead of added whole.  I LOVED this because it made the blueberry flavor so much more prevalent and kept the muffins decidedly more moist.  The streusel crumb topping wasn't originally called for by Foster's though....are you surprised it was my idea to add even more butter and sugar??? :)






Whole Wheat Blueberry Muffins with Oat Streusel Crumb Topping adapted from Foster's Market
Printable Version
2 C whole wheat flour*
1 C cake flour
1 C sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
8 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
3 large eggs
3/4 C milk
Grated zest and juice from 1 lemon
2 1/2 C fresh blueberries
*I used a combo of whole wheat and cake flours, but the original recipe calls for all purpose flour only

Streusel
8 Tbsp butter, melted and cooled
3 Tbsp sugar
3 Tbsp brown sugar
1/3 C oats
1/4 C flour

Preheat oven to 375 and prepare muffin pan.

Sift together flours, sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.

In separate bowl whisk together butter, eggs, milk, lemon zest and juice.

Place blueberries in food processor and pulse a few times until chopped as desired.

Nice and plump!

Add wet mixture to dry mixture and stir until blended.  Do not overmix.  Fold in chopped blueberries.

Gorgeous color.

Divide batter among muffin pan.

For the streusel....combine all ingredients and sprinkle over the top of muffins

The minis

Bake 25-30 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.  Remove from oven and cool in pan for 5 minutes before removing.





You know you want that little blueberry crumb right
there in the corner....







No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE hearing from those who stop by to take a gander at the blog! Feedback and comments of all kinds are always greatly appreciated :)

Love,
Morgan