Friday, July 20, 2012

Mile High Biscuits

Every Friday growing up my dad would take me by Stoney's, home of the best biscuit in our tiny little town, for a bit fluffy one all wrapped up in tin foil to keep it warm until I got to school.  I would always get mine plain with just a bit of butter.  Not too much though. (For what it's worth, my taste has definitely changed and I now get one packed with bacon and egg.)

Is it crazy that the most distinct thing I remember about ordering those biscuits at the end of each week was that "desserts" was misspelled on Stoney's menu posted at the drive thru?  It was spelled with only one "s".  [Face-palm] Ugh.

I found these biscuits on (you guessed it) Pinterest.  These are apparently the very famous biscuits from Ruth's Diner in Salt Lake City, Utah.  According to Pinterest these are "the best biscuits EVER".  Well if Pinterest says it then it must be true.

Look at those butter, flaky layers.

I can't put my finger on what exactly about the texture is different, but it is distinctly different from the buttermilk cathead biscuits I posted a while back.  These are a bit sweeter because of the sugar and tey are definitely chewier.  But maybe that's because I rolled the dough to 1 1/2 inches thick versus 1 inch as was suggested.  Hey, I like my biscuits big.

One thing to note is that my biscuits never turned golden when I baked them.  They stayed a very light cream color  Yours may, but just make sure you keep an eye of them in the oven and use another gauge of doneness other than just color.



Ruth's Diner Mile High Biscuits adapted from Deals to Meals
Printable Version
3 C flour
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 T sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 stick unsalted butter
3/4 C buttermilk
1 egg
1/4 C water

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

Stir together flour, salt, sugar and baking powder in large bowl.  Use pastry cutter to cut in butter until mixture is crumbly.

Add in buttermilk, egg and water.  Stir until just incorporated (do not overwork the dough).  Roll dough to 1 inch to 1 1/2 inch thickness on well floured surface.  Use biscuit cutter to cut out biscuits and place on prepared pan.

Bake 12-15 minutes.
*The original recipe calls for this baking time, but mine had to bake longer.  Also, because mine never turned golden I had to pull them out and check them periodically for doneness.







2 comments:

  1. Oh yes, if Pinterest says it, it must be true ;). Your biscuits turned out perfectly - great photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course :) I think I might have a slight love affair with that site.....

      Delete

I LOVE hearing from those who stop by to take a gander at the blog! Feedback and comments of all kinds are always greatly appreciated :)

Love,
Morgan