Friday, September 21, 2012

Chewy Chocolate Chip Toffee Bars

I wouldn't necessarily consider myself a huge toffee fan, but when I caught a glimpse of these Chewy Chocolate Chip Toffee Bars over on Pinterest I couldn't resist giving them a go.  Reason being that I linked over to the recipe and realized just what all kinds of goodness went into these little babies....

Layer 1: Graham cracker crumbs, butter, toffee bits
Layer 2: Chocolate melted with sweetened condensed milk
Layer 3: Chocolate chip cookie dough and a few graham cracker crumbs
Layer 4: Toffee Bits sprinkled all a-top


Hhhhmm...considering that I would have eaten just the bottom layer alone I figured that these couldn't turn out too bad.  And I will have to say that they certainly didn't disappoint in the least.  I was worried that each of the layers would be too thin (my graham cracker mixture barely covered the bottom, but because all of the ingredients are pretty rich and flavorful the ratios turned out to be spot on.

I enjoyed the idea of these bars so much that I think I might experiment in the future with sugar cookie dough or mint chocolate chip bits....or maybe peanut butter...or white chocolate.  Well, you get the idea.

Enjoy!



Chewy Chocolate Chip Toffee Bars adapted from Family Bites
Printable Version
1/2 C butter, melted
2 C graham cracker crumbs
8 oz bag toffee bits
1 roll refrigerated chocolate chip cookie dough
12 oz bag semi-sweet chocolate chips
14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
1 Tbsp butter
1 tsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 and grease 13x9 pan.  Set cookie dough out to slightly soften.

In small bowl combine 1/2 C melted butter, 1 1/2 C graham cracker crumbs and 3/4 C toffee bits.  Press evenly into bottom of prepared pan to cover.   Place pan in fridge for approximately 10 minutes.


In small saucepan combine condensed milk, 1 Tbsp butter and chocolate chips over medium heat and stir until melted and smooth.  Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.

Remove pan from fridge and pour melted chocolate mixture over crumbs.

Use a spoon to spread the mixture from the middle *out* to keep from
pulling up all the crumbs as your spread the chocolate.

In separate bowl combine cookie dough and remaining 1/2 C graham cracker crumbs.  Use fingers to crumble and then sprinkle evenly over melted chocolate mixture.  Top off pan with remaining 3/4 C toffee bits.

Ready to go!

Make 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.  Allow to cool (about 2 hours) before cutting bars.




No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE hearing from those who stop by to take a gander at the blog! Feedback and comments of all kinds are always greatly appreciated :)

Love,
Morgan