Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Mango Salsa for Meats

Mango salsa for meats?? As in, mango the fruit?  On top of protein?

I know it may sound a bit odd, but this simple blend of mango, onion, peppers and cilantro is quite the pairing for everything from mahi mahi to pork to shrimp.  You can actually keep your meat on the simple side (i.e. no crazy sauces or marinades) and just let the salsa take front and center stage.

I paired mine with some seared pork chops and then added a side of dressed up black beans (recipe coming tomorrow).  I prepared the salsa first and then let all the flavors meld together while I finished up the rest of the meal.  You could also prep it the night before and just keep it in the fridge until you're ready to use it.

I've never tried it, but I'm sure that you could jazz this stuff up and serve it with chips as well.


Words of wisdom:  Just make sure you don't use an overly-ripe mango....it will be super duper slimey and will mush together.



Mango Salsa adapted from allrecipes
Printable Version
1 mango, peeled, seeded and diced
1/4 C finely diced red bell pepper
1 green onion, chopped
1 jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped*
2 Tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
*Use 1/2 if you don't want some heat to your salsa


Combine all ingredients in small bowl.  Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes prior to serving.




2 comments:

  1. Oh yum! Pork with fruit just always seems to go together for me. I think a taco filled with spicy pulled pork with this salsa would be delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never tried making any pulled pork myself, but that sounds delicious! I think next time I might use this salsa with shrimp

      Delete

I LOVE hearing from those who stop by to take a gander at the blog! Feedback and comments of all kinds are always greatly appreciated :)

Love,
Morgan